| Tel: |
During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the island became the center of the Turkish offensive and barbaric Western Mediterranean for being deserted since the fourteenth century and halfway between Europe and Africa, which it caused to be taken as a base of military operations ottoman and corsair.
To fix this situation and defend the island from invasions and attacks, Ibiza decided to install several vigilance points around the coast to give alarm in case of danger and activate the defensive system of the largest of the “Pitiusas”. To communicate between each of these strategic points used smoke during the day and at night bonfires.
The defence panorama was completed during the eighteenth century with the construction of the tower sa Guardiola on the islet of Espalmador between 1749 and 1750 and the next years were built new fortress in Punta Prima, Es Cap de Barber, Es Pi des Català and tower of La Gavina located in the area of Punta Pedrera.
All these towers were prepared to incorporate artillery to serve not only for surveillance but also as active defense towers, as occurred primarily to those located in is Cap and Mitjorn area.